Primal BBQ Sauce
Let’s face it, some grilling and barbecuing simply requires barbecue sauce. But what do you do when you’re trying to limit sugar intake? Easy- make your own sauce! This primal barbecue sauce is excellent because, in addition to cutting out refined sugar, it contains real ingredients and leaves out the junky stuff you get from store-bought sauce. We adapted this recipe from Mark’s Daily Apple– which is a great resource for better eating.
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Whisk together wet ingredients.
- Measure and add dry ingredients.
- Whisk vigorously to ensure they are well-blended.
- Taste and adjust spices as needed (more honey if you like it sweeter, more hot sauce or paprika if you’d like it spicier, etc.)
Use to marinade meat, cook pulled pork, or brush on right before cooking. Also works great as a dipping sauce.